We love and live lavender. So what better way to celebrate this calming herb than with delicious lavender shortbread? Use a Scent Strap on your horse while you snack on a lavender cookie for double the soothing power. Our super easy recipe is a breeze to make so you can spend more time at the barn and less time in the kitchen!
Makes: 12 cookies Takes: 1 ¼ hours
- 11 Tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 Tablespoon dried & ground culinary lavender
- 1 ½ cups pastry flour OR 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour + 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- tablespoon, teaspoon
- ¼ cup, ½ cup, 1 cup
- small pan for melting butter
- 8” pie dish or 4×6 baking pan
- zester or fine-toothed grater
- medium bowl
- fork for mixing
- Heat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Melt the butter over low heat.
- Lightly coat the pie dish or baking pan with butter.
- Combine the remaining melted butter with the sugar, salt, and vanilla in a bowl.
- Add the flour, lavender, and lemon zest. Mix until combined and crumbly.
- Press the dough into the buttered pan.
- Place the pan in a freezer for 15 minutes.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, allow the pan to cool, and cut into 12 pieces.
- We used whole wheat flour and arrowroot starch (instead of white flour and cornstarch) for a healthy twist! Just mix in an additional tablespoon of arrowroot.
- Culinary lavender is available online and at select fine spice stores. We do not recommend that you use personally grown or store-bought lavender because of potentially dangerous chemical fertilizers.